Vegetables, together with fruits, are the utmost effective foods that fight cancer. Certain meticulously directed scientific studies conducted throughout the world have shown that abundant fruit consumption prevents most of the cancers that affect humans.
All fresh fruits are rich in antioxidant vitamins and phytochemicals capable of neutralizing carcinogenic substances entering the body. These fruits are amongst the best foods that prevent cancer:
- Citrus, such as lemons, oranges, and grapefruit: their anticarcinogenic capacity is due to the combined effect of vitamin C, flavonoids, limonoids, and pectin.
- Plums and apples: These fruits protect against colon cancer.
- Pineapples: Prevent stomach cancer.
- Grapes: The resveratrol they contain, particularly in the skin, is anticarcinogenic.
- Blackberries and other aggregate fruits such as strawberries, blueberries, and currants are rich in anthocyanins, powerful antioxidants that neutralize free radicals’ carcinogenic effects.
- Acerolas, guavas, and kiwis, because of their high vitamin C content.
Foods That Fight Cancer: Olive Oil
Studies conducted in Spain and the United States reveal that olive oil consumption reduces breast cancer risk when substituted for other dietary fats. Olive oil is one of the best breast cancer-fighting foods.
Olive oils’ anticarcinogenic effect is due to its richness in antioxidants and monounsaturated fatty acids, among other factors.
Foods That Fight Cancer: Whole Grains
The fiber in whole grains hastens movement through the bowel. It also holds and eliminates carcinogenic materials that reside in the digestive tract, expelling them with the feces.
The fiber in grains and whole-grain bread prevent stomach and colon cancer by reducing the time that these harmful substances contact the digestive tract‘s mucosa, making whole grains among the most effective cancer-fighting foods.
Fiber is one of the foods that prevent breast cancer and pancreatic cancer by preventing carcinogens’ absorption. Grains also contain phytates, which act as anticarcinogens, although they also reduce iron and zinc absorption.
- Rye: This is one of the best grains in the prevention of colon cancer.
- Wheat germ: Because of its antioxidant action, it halts cellular degeneration processes and protects against cancer.
Foods That Fight Cancer: Vegetables
All vegetables guard against cancer to a degree. Their abundance in provitamin A, vitamin C, and antioxidant phytochemicals describes this anticarcinogenic effect. Here are the most effective:
- Red beets: These contain anticarcinogenic phytochemicals.
- Carrots: Their high concentration of beta-carotene, other carotenoids, and fiber explain carrots’ proven cancer-fighting abilities.
- Botanical family Solanaceae: The vegetables of this family protect against cancer, particularly tomatoes, sweet peppers, and eggplants. This ability comes from their richness in beta-carotene, carotenoids, and vitamin C, all of which are superfoods to fight cancer.
- Botanical family Liliaceae: All of the vegetables of this family, particularly onions and garlic, contain flavonoids and sulfurated essences that protect against cancer because they neutralize carcinogenic substances and inhibit the development of tumor cells.
- Crucifers: This botanical family’s plants contain various sulfurated phytochemicals whose anticarcinogenic effect has been demonstrated in laboratory animals. This effect persists even after cooking.
- Cabbage: Cauliflower, broccoli, and radishes are the crucifers most famous for their cancer prevention properties.
Foods That Prevent Cancer: Yogurt
In distinction to milk, whose ingesting is related to various cancers, yogurt protects against this disease, particularly breast cancer.
Its content of active bacterial cultures (in “bio” biotic yogurt) and lactic acid partially explain this protective effect.
Foods That Stop Cancer: Legumes
Legumes, in general, protect against cancer because of their richness in fiber and anticarcinogenic phytochemicals such as phytic acid and phytates.
Soy and its Derivatives
Soy and its derivatives, particularly tofu and soymilk, provide various anticarcinogenic phytochemicals. The most beneficial are the isoflavones genistein and daidzein. These substances are vegetable hormones that avoid estrogen’s undesirable effects, such as its tendency to promote cancer. They are particularly effective against breast and prostate cancers, which makes them amongst the top foods that fight cancer.
How to Prevent Cancer Naturally
George D. Pamplona-Roger, M.D. “Encyclopedia of Foods and Their Healing Power.” George D. Pamplona-Roger, M.D. Encyclopedia of Foods and Their Healing Power. Trans. Annette Melgosa. Vol. 2. Chai Wan: Editorial Safeliz, 2005. 370,371. Print.