The right foods for bone and muscle health play a significant role in the musculoskeletal system, which includes the bones and the structures surrounding them, which makes bodily movement possible: muscles, joints, tendons, and fasciae or aponeurosis.
Foods can contribute to the health of the musculoskeletal system in the following ways:
- By providing carbohydrates, vitamins, and minerals necessary to maintain correct muscle tone and strength.
- By preventing uric acid deposits in the joints, thus avoiding their inflammation and deterioration.
- By reducing arthritis or inflammation of the joints.
- By preventing osteoporosis by providing the calcium, phosphorous, and magnesium necessary to maintain proper skeletal mineralization.
Foods For Bone and Muscle Health
CHESTNUTS are a good source of the calories, vitamins, and minerals needed for bone and muscle development of the adolescent.
BLACK CURRANT leaf extract has an anti-inflammatory effect similar to that of indomethacin. The fruit also has the same effect, although less intense. Eating currants halt the inflammatory process in the joints and relieve the pain. They also help eliminate the uric acid that causes arthritis.
COCONUTS contain minerals of great importance to the musculoskeletal system such as calcium and phosphorus. It provides these minerals in proper proportion, which contributes to healthy bones, joints, and muscles.
Coconut consumption (pulp or water) has a beneficial impact on the bones and muscles in the following cases:
- Bone decalcification (loss of calcium)
- Osteoarthritis (degeneration of cartilage within the joints).
- Osteoporosis (demineralization and loss of bone mass).
- Musculoskeletal pain due to excess tension or lack of muscular relaxation particularly back pain.
Because of their remineralizing effect, coconuts are also recommended:
- During infant, teething to promote healthy enamel formation.
- In cases of brittle hair or nails.
It is interesting that coconut water or milk as the pulp itself, but with the advantage that they contain no fat. A liter of coconut water contains about 300 mg of magnesium, which is the RDA of this mineral for an adult.
LEEKS contain an essential oil similar to that found in onions, although in a lower concentration, which makes it an ideal addition to the foods for bones and muscle health list. Leeks are beneficial in the following case:
- Uratic arthritis: The body produces uric acid daily as a residue of the metabolism of proteins, which is excreted through the urine. When excess uric acid is produced, it tends to deposit in joints, causing inflammation and pain (arthritis). Leeks’ alkalizing and diuretic effects increase the urinary elimination of uric acid. They are particularly beneficial for those suffering from arthritis, gout, and kidney disorders.
CABBAGES contain a significant amount of calcium (approximately half that of milk). This calcium is easily absorbed by the body. Consequently, cabbages must be considered seriously among the top foods for bone and muscle health. It is particularly helpful in cases of osteoporosis and decalcification, as well as any circumstance requiring greater levels of this mineral.
ALFALFA is a little appreciated food, but it possesses great value. Alfalfa sprouts contain calcium, phosphorus, and magnesium. In fact, a recent investigation reveals that vitamin K, which is abundant in alfalfa, improves calcium utilization in the bones. In this manner, vitamin K potentiates the anti-rickets action of vitamin D.
Alfalfa is recommended in cases of rickets, osteoporosis, and arthrosis, because of its beneficial effect on bone metabolism. Arthritics and rheumatics, as well, improve with the regular consumption of this vegetable, particularly when taken as an infusion of alfalfa seeds.
ORANGES because of their vitamin C content makes them an essential factor in the growth and maintenance of the bones, teeth, and cartilage. Oranges are recommended in cases of osteoporosis, rickets, and whenever an increased supply of mineral salts is required.
A treatment with oranges (as with lemons), is very effective in dissolving and eliminating the uric acid deposits within the joints that cause uratic arthritis. This is another powerful addition to the list of foods for bone and muscle health.
The ALMOND is a great food for strong bones and joints. It is considered to be among the superfoods for strong bones. Almonds contain high levels of the mineral that form the skeleton (calcium, phosphorus, and magnesium). Additionally, almonds are alkalizing, which fosters calcium retention. On the other hand, acidifying foods such as meat, increase calcium loss through urine. All of this makes almonds an ideal food for those suffering from osteoporosis or bone demineralization.
Osteoporosis Prevention Tips
It is essential to remember that in the prevention of osteoporosis it is important to consume enough calcium, as it is to prevent its loss through the urine. Excess proteins and salt, which is the norm in the Western diet, as well as coffee consumption, promote calcium loss through the urine, resulting in osteoporosis.
Consequently, avoiding excess meat, fish, cheese, and other high-protein foods, as well as reducing consumption of salt and coffee is just as effective in osteoporosis prevention as consuming quantities of calcium in milk or pharmaceutical supplements.
George D. Pamplona-Roger, M.D. “Encyclopedia Of Foods and Their Healing Power.” George D. Pamplona-Roger, M.D. Encyclopedia Of Foods and Their Healing Power. Trans. Annette Melgosa. Vol. 2. Chai Wan: Editorial Safeliz, 2005.324, 312, 329, 326, 328, 319, 196, 131, 365, 51. [foods for bone and muscle health]