The mayapple plant or American mandrake is not related to the European mandrake of the Solanaceae family. European mandrake is a toxic plant, similar in properties to belladonna, and currently lacking any medicinal applications. In Eastern countries, it was supposed to promote human fertility.
- Occult & Magical
- Azuregreen Stick Incense
- Azuregreen Stick Incense 100 Pack
North American natives have been using podophyllin (the resin of American mandrake’s root) for time immemorial, and from 1820 onwards, it became part of several pharmaceutical preparations.
It has been recently proven that podophyllin has antimitotic properties (prevents cellular division). It has been successfully tested in the treatment of acuminated condyloma acuminatum, papilloma, warts, and other viral tumors of the skin. Its applications in cancer treatment are currently under research.
- You will get 1 packet contains 10 Seeds of May Apple, Podophyllum peltatum, American mandrake, Ground Lemon, Mayapple
- Bloom Time: May, June/Perennial
- To naturally stratify seed, plant outdoors late fall on site and allow seed to overwinter. To artificially stratify seed, place seed and medium in a labeled, sealed plastic bag and store in a refrigerator (33-40°F).
- Sun Exposure: Partial, Shade
- Soil Moisture: Medium, Medium-Dry
In high doses, it can provoke violent diarrhea and even death.
Mayapple Plant Scientific Facts
- Scientific Name – Podophyllum peltatum L.
- Other Names – American mandrake, wild lemon.
- French – Podophylle.
- Spanish – Podófilo.
- Environment – Meadows and damp forests all over the Atlantic regions of North America. It does not grow in Europe.
- Description – The mayapple plant is a herbaceous plant of the Berberidaceae family, growing up to 50 cm high. Its fruit is aromatic yellow berries.
- Parts of the plant used medicinally – The resin of the root (podophyllin).
How to use Mayapple
- An intake of 0.25 to 0.5 grams of the root, or 50 to 100 mg of podophyllin, results in a regular evacuation 12 hours after the intake.
- Podophyllin resin is applied to the skin in several pharmaceutical preparations. These preparations contain an oil suspension of the resin mixed with paraffin. Put some drops of this suspension on the affected skin area every day to achieve results.
- Mandrake NON-Alcohol liquid extract contains ONLY natural ingredients!
- High Quality Mandrake NON-Alcohol liquid extract – we use classic conventional methods of extraction! We meticulously produce our extracts according to precise standards where each herb is extracted according to the distinct characteristic of each plant!
George D. Pamplona-Roger, M.D. “Encyclopedia of Medicinal Plants.” George D. Pamplona-Roger, M.D. Encyclopedia of Medicinal Plants. Ed. Francesc X. Gelabert. vols. 2 San Fernando de Henares: Editorial Safeliz, 2000. 517. Print. [mayapple plant]
Last update on 2023-12-07 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API