They are many sauerkraut health benefits. Although it is not widely consumed outside Germanic regions, its use is increasing because of its numerous medicinal purposes. The traditional method of preserving vegetables, particularly cabbage, is by fermentation with lactobacilli. Fermented cabbage allows a good source of vitamin C during the long Northern and Central European winters.
Sauerkraut Health Benefits
According to Dr. Schneider, sauerkraut health benefits are probably due to its high level of natural lactic acid. This substance benefits such diverse ailments as arteriosclerosis, rheumatism, arthritis, and liver disease.
Fermented cabbage provides the following benefits to the body:
- It offers abundant vitamin C, with all of its attendant advantages.
- It eliminates toxic residues accumulated in the body’s tissues during the long winter months (depurant action).
- Digestive: Sauerkraut improves the function of the stomach and intestines. Although some feel it is heavy and difficult to digest, in reality, this effect is due to the sausages that often accompany it.
- It prevents pyrosis (acid sensation) in the stomach by stopping excess acid production.
- Improves evacuation and relieves constipation because of its high fiber content.
Naturally, fermented sauerkraut is preferred. Industrially fermented cabbage made using vinegar is inferior and should be avoided.
- RAW – This method best preserves its healing properties. It may be prepared with olive oil, adding small pieces of pineapple or apple.
- COOKED – After cooking over low heat for 20 to 25 minutes. It is eaten with boiled potatoes, potato puree, or soy products. These constitute healthful and nutritious dishes.
How to Make Sauerkraut
George D. Pamplona-Roger, M.D. “Encyclopedia of Foods and Their Healing Power.” George D. Pamplona-Roger, M.D. Encyclopedia of Foods and Their Healing Power. Trans. Annette Melgosa. Vol. 2. Chai Wan: Editorial Safeliz, 2005. 370,371. Print. [sauerkraut health benefits]
Last update on 2023-12-03 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API