Although we cannot stop aging, a healthy lifestyle and anti aging foods are, indeed, capable of:
- Slowing its onset and
- Preventing its associated degenerative diseases such as arteriosclerosis, rheumatism, cataracts, cancer, and others tend to increase in later years.
The Causes of Aging
The two most significant determinants of the aging process are:
- The “biological clock” found in each cell in the body is set so that at a determined time, aging and death take place regardless of how healthful the diet and lifestyle.
- Free radicals: These electron-releasing molecules produce oxidation. Recent studies reveal that free radicals attack cells, damaging their chemical structure. The result is cellular degeneration, premature aging, and disease (including cancer).
Free radicals are produced by:
- The body itself because of metabolic processes that produce waste products that act as free radicals. Although the kidneys, the liver, the lungs, and the skin can eliminate these free radicals, their action is frequently insufficient. The resulting accumulation of these waste substances is a cause of aging and disease.
- External contamination such as tobacco smoke, drugs in general, many medications, pesticides, and other contaminants act as free radicals, which damage the cells, accelerate aging, and produce disease.
Anti Aging Foods
- Citrus fruits provide three effective antioxidants, such as beta-carotene (provitamin A), vitamin C, and flavonoids, which reduce the effect of free radicals and protect the cells against premature aging. These antioxidants are readily available in anti aging supplements. However, it is much better to get them from the foods you eat.
- Artichokes promote the processes of liver detoxification, thanks to which free radicals that contaminate the body and cause premature aging are eliminated. Artichokes are a great addition to any anti aging diet plan.
- Celery and onions are good blood purifiers that aid the urinary elimination of waste products, which is an excellent addition to any anti aging food list.
- Almonds are a good source of antioxidant vitamin E, which protects against cancer and arteriosclerosis.
- Strawberries are one of the most powerful antioxidant fruits.
- Garlic provides selenium, a trace element essential to the function of the body’s antioxidant enzymes. It protects against cancer and arteriosclerosis.
A vegan diet for anti aging adds years to your life, and what is even more critical, adds life to years. Therefore, it enhances the quality of life of the elderly, reducing the risk of disabling diseases such as cancer, heart attack, and stroke.
Fruits, anti aging vegetables, and oil-bearing nuts are the best source of antioxidants. They provide beta-carotene and vitamins C and E. Because of this; they can neutralize the oxidizing action of free radicals generated by the body’s activity and external contaminants. In this way, they help slow the aging process of cellular aging.
Tips to Slow or Halt Premature Aging
Nothing can be done to control the “biological clock” in each of our cells. However, there are at least three effective ways of fighting free radicals that cause premature aging and disease:
Promote the body’s own depurative and detoxifying processes: Free radicals produced because of the body’s metabolic activity or from external contamination are eliminated through these systems. To do this, it is only necessary to aid the body in its cleansing function:
- Increase urine production by drinking sufficient water and eating anti aging foods, most of which are diuretic.
- Assisting the liver’s detoxifying processes by eating cholagogic fruits and vegetables, which increases bile production.
- Breathing correctly.
- Avoiding constipation.
- Making an effort to sweat occasionally.
Medicinal plants, anti aging herbs, and anti aging vitamins can also improve kidney function, liver function, and skin disorders; you will also need to stay away from foods that cause wrinkles.
- Avoid chemical and drug contamination to the extent possible. The use of organically grown foods and abstinence from tobacco and other drugs contribute to this.
- Consume antioxidants: Anti aging foods, mainly fresh fruits, and vegetables provide an abundance of antioxidant substances, which neutralize the oxidizing action of free radicals. In this way, they protect against: Premature aging, cancer, degenerative diseases associated with aging in general, particularly against arteriosclerosis.
George D. Pamplona-Roger, M.D. “Encyclopedia of Foods and Their Healing Power.” George D. Pamplona-Roger, M.D. Encyclopedia of Foods and Their Healing Power. Trans. Annette Melgosa. Vol. 2. Chai Wan: Editorial Safeliz, 2005. 386, 387. Print. [anti aging foods]