The consumption of anti anxiety foods goes a long way in treating this condition. Anxiety is an undesirable and unjustified emotional state, primarily psychosomatic. It initially affects the brain and then the other body organs producing tachycardia, stomach pain, irritable bowel (alternating constipation–diarrhea), etcetera.
Anxiety is exacerbated by:
- Unbalanced weight-loss diets produce an inevitable reduction in the intake of carbohydrates, vitamins, and minerals, all of which are essential for a robust nervous system.
- Consumption of alcoholic beverages, stimulants (such as caffeine), and tobacco. Although these may briefly relieve anxiety, it usually reappears with greater intensity after the substance’s effect in question has passed. Since these are addictive drugs, they all harm the nervous system.
Top Anti Anxiety Foods
- WHEAT GERM: Balances and invigorates the nervous system due to its high nutritional value. Disorders of the nervous system require extra B vitamins, and wheat germ is rich in vitamins B1, B2, B6, niacin, and folates, making it one of the best foods that reduce anxiety and depression.
- WHOLE GRAIN: These provide complex carbohydrates and B vitamins necessary to the balance of the nervous system.
- BANANA: This is a good source of vitamin B6, carbohydrates, potassium, and magnesium; deficiency in these nutrients fosters anxiety. Also, bananas contain minimal amounts of serotonin. This is a substance that is derived from the amino acid tryptophan, which helps perform specific functions within the nervous system such as sedation of the nerves, inhibition of pain in the spinal cord, and arterial vasodilation.
- NUTS: Oil-bearing nuts are rich in essential fatty acids, lecithin, and phosphorous that promote proper brain function.
- YOGURT: Yogurt, particularly biotic yogurt, contains bacteria that increase B vitamin factors in the colon, such as biotin, choline, and pantothenic acid, which are necessary to the neurons. Biotic yogurt is an excellent food for nerves.
- VITAMIN B6: Vitamin B6 deficiency produces anxiety. Whole grains, legumes, and bananas are good sources of this vitamin.
- MAGNESIUM: Magnesium deficiency produces irritability and anxiety. Whole grains, legumes, and oil-bearing nuts are good sources of this mineral.
Foods That Cause Anxiety
- STIMULANT BEVERAGES: These produce addiction and foster a state of nervous excitation that generates anxiety.
- MEAT: Its regular consumption produces addiction and can foster anxiety, which makes meat one of the foods to avoid with anxiety.
- ALCOHOL: Although it seems to alleviate anxiety, it deteriorates the nervous system and produces anxiety and emotional instability.
George D. Pamplona-Roger, M.D. “Encyclopedia of Foods and Their Healing Power.” George D. Pamplona-Roger, M.D. Encyclopedia of Foods and Their Healing Power. Trans. Annette Melgosa. Vol. 2. Chai Wan: Editorial Safeliz, 2005. 34, 310, 71. Print.[anti anxiety foods]